Where are the Coolest School's in America?
You'd better believe it Zaharis is on the list!
Say what? Sorry it's been a bit since I last posted. I have quite a few things I would like to catch you up on. Last week was a pretty exciting week. Well, let's be honest, every week at Zaharis is an incredibly exciting week. We moved from fish throwing to being announced in Scolastic's magazine Parent and Child as being one of the 25 coolest schools in America.
Don't believe me? Check it out. Coolest Schools in America. Each school has it's own description and link. If you click on our school you'll be able to check out a couple of photos of the school in action as well as a 3 minute video. The video takes place in my cooperating teacher's classroom a couple of years ago. This is the reality of Zaharis. A class of first graders discussing real issues and recognizing they can do something about it. It's not only in this classroom this happens, but every day in every classroom authentic learning experiences take place throughout the school.
Well, to kick off the announcement of being one of the 25 coolest schools in America what do you do? Don't you worry, Principal Mike Oliver, had a plan. Last Thursday we received an special visit from Olympic Gold Medalist...
Breeja Larson!
We got to see these muscles in action. Mr. Oliver and her had a gun show :)
-actually lifted up one of the students over their heads like a weight; that's Mr. Oliver for you-
Fun fact if you didn't already know this. She only started swimming competitively when she was 17 years old. Folks, that's only 3 years ago.
Wanna know something else really cool?
Thursday just happened to be the day my cooperating teacher was taking her daughter to college and the other student teacher in the classroom had courses on campus. I was there for the day with a substitute (side note: you learn a TON when you're thrown in full flood). At our assembly which the entire school attended (900+ students) I sat down on a bench and was intently watching down the row to make sure my class was not the one misbehaving before things got started. Another note there was a space between me and a student on my left. Back to watching the kiddos like a hawk...someone in white came and asked the student to the left of me if they could sit next to them. I didn't really pay any attention thinking it was another member of the faculty (in a school of 900+ students how many faculty members are there? I don't even know I'm still working on getting to know everyone). Then in my peripheral vision I see a purple lanyard and something gold and shinny.
* Wait a second!? *
Quick double take and gasp! That's Breeja Larson! She's sitting right next to me.
I even talked with her for a bit before she went up on the stage to talk to the students. A clip that had been put together of parts of her races and pictures was playing. I thought to ask her, "What is it like watching yourself up there?" Her response made me appreciate her even more. She said, "It's like another life. I think, 'Wow. Good job! Congratulations!" Then I'm like, 'Wait, that's me.' "
Humble and talented.
My favorite part though was the amazing student body I was telling you about earlier. Remember the first grade classroom talking about real issues and caring about their community? Over 3 days. Yes only 3 days. The student body brought in over $2,200 in coins to donate to the Special Olympics in Breeja's honor. She left the following message with the students (click the lick below to see footage from the assembly) :
"Always follow your dreams! Stay humble + HUNGRY!"
You tired of reading this post yet? Well, too bad I've still got more for ya. Along with all of this going on last week because of the big announcement coming out the local news crews wanted the inside view of what makes this school so cool. Once again the classroom I am so privileged to be being mentored in was shown. Yes, my mentor teacher is shown conferencing with a student. Another student from the class comments on how he can read to the entire class, as well as camera sweeps across the room several times. If you watch carefully you can see me. I'm wearing a green tank top. :)
Hope you've enjoyed this and now have a better idea of the happenings down here in the land of the Sun Devils.




2 comments:
wow - what an adventure! how cool for you to be at this neat school! you are obviously in the middle of doing incredible things. :) love you girl!
Sara this is AWESOME!!! No wonder you love it so much! What a cool place. Plus the tortoises! Plus YOU SAW A GOLD MEDAL AND MEDALIST IN REAL LIFE! So fun. I am so happy for you and the amazing experiences you are having! This will help you become such a great teacher!
Post a Comment