17 January 2015

What Really Are My Priorities?

Yet again I find myself having neglected to post for the past 7 months... When I have reflected as to why this is I find myself always saying, "I've been busy working."

In our fast paced world keeping up can be extremely difficult. Expectations increase daily. Have you ever found having spent your entire evening "finishing up this one last thing" before spending time with family, friends or getting out of the house to do something fun, only to realize you're too late? It is no wonder we often find ourselves completely burnt out because we just don't have anything more to give. We've put all our time and energy into expectations, however well intended they may be.




As I came home for work today I thought to myself, "I am SO glad it's a long weekend!" As my thoughts continue I find myself thinking, "What am I going to do this weekend?" Immediately the list of deadlines, responsibilities and work projects piling up on my desk came to mind. "I'll be able to get caught up; and not feel so stressed."

Stop. Rewind and freeze. "Wait a minute, I've thought that before." You have too. Let's be honest, our responsibilities and work projects are endless. We are never completely caught up. We could spend our entire lives working on this project or that one.

Regardless of knowing I have thought this way before I still found myself leaving my classroom with my arms filled with projects to work on or complete over the weekend. Honestly, I think because I know it's a long weekend I came home with a longer list of things to accomplish than I did when I went to work with this morning. Something is backwards about that.

A wise friend of mine once told me, "Chuck the checklist."

Huh? You might be thinking something like, "My list helps me remember everything I have to do. By writing it down I can see what I have accomplished." Both of these statements may be true, but in the act of checking the item off your list have you really accomplished or experienced anything? In the grand scheme of things what did you really get from crossing the item from your list?

Insert important thoughts here: Please do not misunderstand me. I am aware of the list of countless ways our various work and other responsibilities vie for our attention. I was blessed to be born into a family with "goodly parents" who emphasized the importance of hard work. By all means I am not saying stop working or neglect to fulfill your responsibilities. Rather I am saying, be diligent and dedicated in your work; but please do not let life pass you by because you are so busy working. This was one of the lessons my wise friend was trying to teach me.

Alright, acknowledgement is the first step of the process right? "Now what? How do I get everything done while experiencing and enjoying life?"

It's a good question isn't it? Truth this is the reason I decided to write this post. I need advice and suggestions from you. How do you balance your responsibilities and "find joy in the journey?

If I am to be completely truthful I have realized my life has been completely out of balance for a while now. When I have free time ("Wait, what is that? Is there such a thing?") I do not even know what to do with it any more.

This brings up an entirely different problem. Because I spend all of my time on work, it is how I define myself. Deep down I know I am much more than what I do related to work, but after acting this way (constantly working) I have written that message in my mind subconsciously.

Other goals and priorities I have still occupy the forefront of my mind (continue my education, religious responsibilities, dating so I can find a spouse and start a family of my own, etc.). But, once again, in my personal reflection I find my actions are not necessarily leading me in the direction of obtaining these goals as directly as I could be. Rather my path is filled with detours (not necessarily bad in anyway) but distractions nevertheless keeping me from finding joy in the journey and ultimately making it to my destination.

I read this post this evening, "Is Your Marriage More Important Than Your Career?". Although this article is directed toward married individuals it was insightful for me and caused me to reflect, "Is my career more important than... (insert any of the goals and priorities listed above)." Now I am turning to you for your suggestions and personal experience of getting life back in it's proper perspective.

No comments: