I can provide the best express my thoughts about what I have been coming to comprehend about the worth of a soul by sharing an experience I had as a young a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. One of my first preparation days as a missionary in the Virginia Richmond Mission was touring Colonial Williamsburg. In Merchant's Square there is a jewelry store called The Precious Gem. I was astonished at the beautiful and custom made jewelry surrounding me. While admiring a particularly stunning ring (well over $20,000) the jeweler asked if I wanted to try it on. Elated I said, "Yes! May I?" After slipping it on my finger and holding my hand back to admire it I had a very distinct impression.
You are worth far more than all the jewels in the world.
After contemplating the impression that day and countless times after I have come to a deeper understanding of the worth of a soul in the site of God (
D&C 18:10-16).
How is a jewel, diamond or precious stone made?
Here are somethings I've learned:
- All diamonds are at least 990,000,000 years old
- Diamonds are formed deep within the Earth: between 100 km and 200 km below the surface.
- Diamonds are carried to the surface by volcanic eruptions.
- Diamond is made of carbon (C), yet the stable form (polymorph) of carbon at the Earth's surface is graphite.
- To ensure they are not converted to graphite, diamonds must be transported extremely rapidly to the Earth's surface.
- Diamond is the hardest material.
Summarized diamonds are made from carbon. The stable form of carbon on the Earth's surface mentioned above is graphite. Yes, the very same element use in to make pencil lead and what coal is made of. Over a
LONG period of time during which the carbon is under
intense pressure and
extreme temperatures a diamond is formed. It remains a diamond when
transported through volcanic eruptions to the Earth's surface. All of that is just to get the diamond to the surface. Now add the cutting and shaping the diamond into something absolutely stunning.
Getting back to my original impression, if I am worth more than all the jewels in the world wouldn't Heavenly Father put more time, energy and love into creating me? Think about your life; the time, pressure, intense heat and eruptions that have taken place to bring you to where you are today. Add to that the being cut and polished by the Master's hand.
How is this all possible? Through the refining experiences the Savior personally plans for each of us to access His atonement each and every day. Through life's trails and tribulations He has been granting me a glimpse of what He sees. As I've been handing over the portion of my heart I've been protecting He has continued to cutting and shaping me into the diamond He intends for me to be. As the process continues I am blessed to be filled with His light, which in turn creates a sparkle for others around me to come to know Him.
So to each of you reading this remember, "God changes caterpillars into butterflies, sand into pearls and coal into diamonds using time and pressure. He is working on you too."
The Will of God
The Currant Bush
YouTube:
How Diamonds are Formed
No comments:
Post a Comment