16 August 2008

2008 Neighborhood Olympic Games

Watching the olympics has been a long time favorite pastime of mine. I admit, I was counting down for the opening ceremony and had cleared my calendar to be able to enjoy it all-- Alright maybe it was just by chance that the summer camp I've been working at ended the week before.... but who is even asking anyways?-- I was excited to say the least. I planned to have two weeks clear for some quality television (I might also add the best television coverage every two years).

What is about the olympics that ignites or relights the flame within each of us?
Maybe it is rousing to watching athletes from all over the world compete.
Or it could be the fact, for two weeks every couple of years the world seems to unite in cheering his/her own athlete on.
Perhaps it is seeing someone set shatter a world record.
It's possible it is the moving stories behind the athletes, to see that they defied all the odds to get where they are today.
Who knows it might even be that we step outside ourselves and see the successes of another.

Whatever the reason the olympics are an awe inspiring site to me. But today I would like to dedicate this blog to all of those out there who have organized or participated as athletes in neighborhood olympic games. Haven't we all dreamed of being that olympian capturing the gold medal? Really the question should be, "Who hasn't desired to show the world what they are made of, what they can do, and the talents they possess?"

Well this afternoon I was reminded of my younger days. Rollerblade racing and trampoline gymnastics, just two events of our neighborhood olympics years ago. I recalled a story or two of pole vaulting over barbwire fences or racing around the track mowed out of the pasture. All this came flooding back because my younger sister came running through the house calling us to come watch the olympics on the front lawn. So without further ado I present the news coverage of the 2008 Neighborhood Olympic Games. I give you:

The athletes.


The jumpropers.




The lacrossers.




The spectators.


The music makers.


The celebrators.


No comments: