29 October 2008

I dedicate this blog to all those who are mothers and fulltime college students.

Today for one of my classes a classmate and I conducted an interview with a single mother who recently moved from New York to complete her bachelor’s degree. She's raising two energetic daughters while work and going to school. Don't ask me how she does it she's amazing.

Before the interview began I was collaborating my peer can came to find out that she too is basically playing the role of a single mom. Her husband works and lives in a nearby town, she sees him late on Saturday nights and Sundays. She has two daughters (8 months and 2 years old). On top of that she is taking 20 credits. Is that even possible?

Now, I'm writing all this to let you know I've been put in my place. I felt like I was falling apart just because of this one class (the one we were interviewing for). I cannot even comprehend taking 16 credits on top of it along with nurturing, caring, teaching and raising children without a husband to be a support during the week. Needless to say, this peer is my hero. She and the mother we interviewed taught me a couple very important lessons.

First is the importance of completing my education, doing the best I can each and every day. What a privilege it is to attend Brigham Young University-Idaho. This campus has so much to offer that cannot be offered anywhere else (no, not even at BYU Provo).

Second that even though I may feel like the world is coming down on me and everything is falling apart. If I take the time to look around I can find incredible people doing so much more; experiencing much more difficult circumstances. I am so blessed. How grateful I am that the Lord knows me and what I can capable of. I am also thankful for the growing opportunities he grants me each and every day.

2 comments:

Lauren Davison said...

GO GET EM', SARA! :)

Dianna M. Boren said...

Thank you SOOOOOO much for writing that post! I love you so much! You are AMAZING! I know sometimes it feels like life is falling apart, but as it said there's always someone doing more. It's amazing the experiences that God gives us! You're AWESOME!!! :) Love ya!!!