26 June 2006

Through the river and over the wood. . .

You know how some days you just can't seem to be in as many places as you need to be? Well that's how last Friday was for me. For my work I have the wonderful privilege of working with the most amazing children ever. There is one down to the job though, these little twerps always keep you on your toes and expecting the unexpected. They day had gone quite smoothly comparatively to my earlier golfing incident. My story begins when the day was almost done and I thought I was homeward bound, oh how very wrong I was. A co-worker and I were cleaning up various different games we had used to amuse the children while being up the canyon when I looked up to see her little boy taking off for the river. I dropped what I was doing and dashed up the hill, across the trail and "through the river" just in time to snatch his hand before he took off up the mountain. I walked him back across the bridge and sat him down next to my co worked and paused to catch my breath. It was then that I noticed that my little girl had disappeared. Quickly I began to squint and scan the premises. My worst fears were confirmed as I identified her little body in the food line of another group at the pavilion across the park. Putting my racing skills back to use I sprinted over to the table just before she reached the food. However, I was ever so wrong with thinking that if I got there in time that she would come easily. Unfortunately I had quite the struggle with her before getting her to return to our table. But over all, after a few minutes talking to my supervisor she came back over and apologized for having caused such a ruckus. Of course this cleared everything up no questions asked. But I’ve learned my lesson, never leave a child alone for even a minute--- because you never know you might have to go "through the river and over the wood."

No comments: