27 June 2006

At my work there isn't a day that goes by when one child doesn't get angry or upset with another, but today as this happened on many occasions my eyes were opened to what the Bible means when it says, "become as little children" (Matthew 18:3). You see, as I was sitting at work it was another usual day full of it's bumps and bruises, not to mention pushing and shoving and occasional bites, just doing what I do, interacting with the kids when I came to the realization of how humble children are. Along with their ability to truly say, "I’m sorry" and mean it.
Let me got into a little more detail and hopefully you too can be enlightened. Right from the get go today we had a little boy bite a little girl. He naturally was taken from the room to "sit and think about what he'd done." A few minutes later he briefly returned to the room to collect a puzzle from the closet with his staff member. But before the staff knew it the little boy was over next to the little girl, the staff member was just about to intervene when he saw that the said little boy was giving the bitten little girl a great big hug and saying two little words "I’m sorry." I just happened to be sitting next to this little girl when he came up and I don't think I’ve ever heard those two words said more heart felt.
Alright you might say, well good story and who hasn't seen that before, but before you lose interest allow me to share one more experience that happened just a few minutes later.
Often times when one says something others misunderstand the meaning and sometimes feelings are hurt, but a truly humble person knows when to admit they were wrong. We were chatting with the children about the movie we will be seeing at the theater tomorrow and one young man made a comment about it and another heard and was offended. The offended individual made his way across the room ranting and raving saying the other was an idiot as he pushed and shoved him. About two minutes later after this young man had thought about what he'd done he reapproached the one who'd made the initial statement. He sat down next to him and began to chat with him, trying to understand the reason why he'd made the comment he had. After realizing that the comment was meant in an entirely different way than he understood it the young man proceeded to say, "oh I am so sorry. I didn't understand. I shouldn't have shoved and pushed you. I was the idiot for calling you names. I am sorry." What an example of humility this young man had just displayed. I made it a resolution right then and there to strive to be more like them. To try to understand others and admit on the spot when I am wrong. Also to always include the heartfelt "I’m sorry." What would the world be like if we each "became as little children?"

1 comment:

Annegirl said...

That's really cool. Thanks for writing about it, Sara.